The panel will provide an update on the current use of facial recognition and face surveillance techniques around the world. The aim is to assess the current status, understand the regulatory response, and draw attention to advocacy efforts. The panel builds on a call for a moratorium announced at the privacy commissioners conference in Tirana (https://thepublicvoice.org/ban-facial-recognition/).
- What are the benefits of facial recognition and what are the risks?
- Are there unique privacy concerns with facial recognition?
- What efforts have been taken to regulate the use of facial recognition? Are there any common themes in these approaches?
- Why have advocacy organisations raised concern about facial recognition?
- Is it possible to deploy a system of facial recognition in a public space that complies with the GDPR?