BRICS are developing or enacting data protection frameworks that will soon affect almost 50% of the world’s population and almost 40% of existing Internet users, who live in the BRICS. This session is part of the CyberBRICS project, which explores data protection and cybersecurity frameworks in the BRICS. Panellists will analyse the advancements and challenges regarding BRICS data protection frameworks, focusing on:
• The approval of a new "General Data Protection Law", in Brazil;
• The enactment of data protection and data localisation provisions, in Russia;
• The Indian Supreme Court recognition of privacy as a fundamental right and the consultations on a new Indian Data Protection Bill;
• The current consultation on the new “Internet Personal Information Security Protection Guidelines”, in China;
• The partial enactment of the "Protection of Personal Information Act", in South Africa.